Healthy Aging Habits All Year Long
Healthy Aging Month may be coming to a close, but providing pointers for an optimistic outlook and lifestyle will continue all year. September’s theme of Healthy Aging Month was to draw attention to practical, positive ideas that focus on growing older. Inspiring adults over 50 to reach for physical, mental, social and financial well-being, Healthy Aging Month reminds us that we can age gracefully, with style while maintaining good health.
Healthy aging in New Jersey might include:
- Staying physically active by getting daily exercise – exercise helps keep you strong and helps prevent falls.
- Staying socially active – maintain your friendships and club and church attendance. Take walks with a friend to strengthen your body and your friendship!
- Staying sharp mentally – do puzzles and brain-teasers; dabble, as an article in McCall magazine put it: “Live your life as if it were an endless smorgasbord. Dabble in this, and dabble in that. Dabble in cooking, in canning, in knitting. Dabble in bird-watching, old-book collecting, stained-glass window making. Dabble in dance, and dabble in rodeo. Dabble in bowling. Dabble in cyberspace and inner space, and leave plenty of space to dabble at dabbling.”
- Scheduling – schedule and keep regular doctor visits, including annual physicals and needed health screenings.
- Sleeping – get enough. We seem to require less sleep as we age, but we still need those 8 hours of beauty rest.
As we age, we may come to need more assistance with everyday activities, and this may include taking advantage of Visiting Angels’ home health care services.
Visiting Angels provides services that enable older adults to stay safe and healthy in their homes when full-time medical care is not required. When you need us, we come to you—weekends, weekdays, and holidays. Personalized care tailored to meet your needs includes:
- Housekeeping and help with everyday tasks
- Help with dressing, grooming, and bathing
- Personal care assistance
- Running errands and shopping
- Preparing and serving meals
- Caring for pet companions
- Sharing laughter and friendship
Competent care and professionalism combine to place Visiting Angels at the top on the list of New Jersey in-home care providers. You or your family members are in good hands with our Angels. We want you to recognize that Henry W. Longfellow was right when he wrote, “age is opportunity no less than youth, though in another dress.” For quality homecare assistance services for adults, seniors, and elder loved ones, contact us today at 609-883-8188.