Looking for an Office on Aging, senior center, or hospital in Burlington or Mercer County, New Jersey? View our list of local Burlington and Mercer County resources for these services and more.
Learn about our money-saving Family Advantages program—Visiting Angels’ nationwide program offering special discounts on products and services.
Community Resource Bulletins
Every month we spotlight New Jersey elder care issues important to seniors and to those who care for them. Find the latest news on senior home care, senior resources, and other Mercer County and home care in NJ information. Get all of your New Jersey home care news in these monthly publications. Don’t miss an issue—download these resources today:
Community Resource Bulletins
- January: Fighting Post-Holiday Depression. We all might feel a little blue after the holidays. It’s important to monitor your older loved one’s mental health, especially during this time, as depression may set in without anyone realizing it. Read more about combating depression in seniors.
- February: American Heart Month. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S. The more risk factors you have, the greater your chance of developing coronary heart disease. Read more about American Heart Month.
- March: National Nutrition Month. Nutrition is especially important for older adults. A nutritious diet leads to happier, healthier people who can live longer and stronger! Read more on National Nutrition Month.
- April: Cancer Control Month. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and promoting cancer screening are the goals of Cancer Control Month in order to prevent cancer
- May: Older Americans Month. Visiting Angels celebrates New Jersey’s seniors! Older Americans Month is an annual opportunity to let older adults in our community know how much we appreciate them. This year’s theme is “Unleash The Power of Age!”
- June: National Safety Month. Poisons, fire, weather, cooking, automobile/driver, medications, etc. are safety issues we must all be aware of. However, for older adults, and those in NJ elder care, one of the biggest safety concerns is falling.
- July: UV Safety Month/Protect Older Adults from Sun & Heat. July is a great month to be outdoors in the sun, but also presents certain dangers.
- August: Cataract/Vision Awareness Month. Cataracts are common—about 20.5 million Americans age 40 and older have cataracts, and more than half of all Americans develop cataracts by age 80. Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness worldwide, but very treatable through surgery.
- September: Healthy Aging Month. Encouraging and inspiring people 50+ to improve their physical, mental, social, and financial health.
- October: Long-Term Care Planning Month. Don’t wait for a crisis to happen before you develop your plan for long-term care. Many don’t realize that health insurance, Medicare, and disability coverages do not pay for most long-term care services.
- November: Alzheimer’s Awareness Month. Most everyone knows a loved one of someone who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease or some other form of dementia. Our hearts go out to them because it’s a progressive, unpredictable disease.
- December: Stress-Free Holidays for Seniors and Family Caregivers. For seniors and their family caregivers, the added stress may sap the holiday cheer right out of them. These tips can help.
Additional Community Resource Bulletins
- Parkinson’s Disease Awareness Month. Over 60,000 people are diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease in the U.S. each year.
- Celebrating Senior Independence
- Senior Volunteerism in Tribute to 9/11 Victims, Survivors and Those Who Served
- Emergency Preparedness. Seniors (whether living independently at home, or in an assisted living facility) should have an emergency plan and an emergency kit.
Elder Care Resources
Click on each link for detailed information on an array of subjects:
- Alzheimer’s Awareness: Sundown Syndrome, Mini-Mental State Exam, Various Alzheimer’s Web Links
- Resources to Assist the Sight Impaired: Eye Disorders, Tips on Coping with Low Vision, Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Catataracts, Caregiver Tips for People with Low Vision, Vision Myths,Assistive Products and Home Modifications for Those with Vision Impairment
- Benefits of Homecare: Help In Deciding if Home Care is for you, Private Duty vs. Agency, Tips from the National Institute on Aging, What Are ADLs
- Coordinating Care for Your Elder Loved One: Aging In Place Design Tips, Social Work and Long Term Care Services, Personal Emergency Response Systems, Money and Legal Matters, Products for Aging Comfortably
- Heart Health Resources: Warning Signs, High Blood Pressure, Everyday Heart Health, Cardiovascular Disease Stats, Heart Information Sheets, Heart Healthy Grocery List, Heart-Healthy Diet, Understanding Stroke, How’s Your Heart?, Smoking Among Adults: Coronary Heart Disease and Stroke, Tobacco, Heart Disease and Stroke
- Depression Masking as Dementia: Link Between Alzheimer’s and Depression, Memory Screening Questions, Tips for Helping Understand an Elder Depressed Person, Screening Tool for Depression
- Exercise and Activity for Good Health, No Matter the Age: Web sites about Exercise & Activity for Good Health
- Gadget Corner: Gadgets for Seniors, Caregivers and Others
- Immunization Awareness: Why Should Older Adults Be Immunized?, Personal Prevention Charts, Flu Vaccine, Pneumococcal Vaccine, Shingles Vaccine, Shots for Safety, Staying Healthy at 50+
- Local Resources for Seniors: Listings for Mercer & Burlington Counties, NJ
- Living with and Caring For Cancer: Chemotherapy Questions, Cancer Caregiver Checklist, Understanding the Diagnosis, Caregiving for Your Loved One With Cancer, Caring for a Cancer Patient, Home Care for Cancer Patients, Cancer prevention: 7 Steps to Reduce Your Risk, Cancer Treatment, Cancer Types, Common Questions About Diet and Cancer, Cancer Caregiver Burnout, Frequently Asked Questions About Hospice
- Long Distance Caregiving: Ways to Help Care for Your Loved Ones from Far Away
- Family Caregivers: Reduce Caregiver Burnout, Inspirational Quotes for Caregivers, Respite Tips for Caregivers, Burnout Symptoms, Understanding Respite Care, Self-Care for Family Caregivers, Achieving Emotional Distance From Overwhelming Caregiving Responsibilities, Workplace Programs For Family Caregivers, Family Caregiving Statistics, Tips For Surviving the Stressful Holiday Season, FAQ’s on Caregiving, Social Networking Community For Caregivers
- Nutrition for Seniors: Daily Food Record Sheet, Nutritional Screening Tool, Tips for Eating Well, Online Nutritional Screening, Healthy Meals for One or Two, Planning for Leftovers, Evaluating and Treating Unintentional Weight Loss in the Elderly, Nutrition Guidelines for Seniors
- Options to Age at Home: Assessing Needs to Remain at Home with Assistance, Options for Care Defined, Models and Payment Options of In-home Care Providers, Home Safety, Home Design, Aging in Place Technology Watch, Personal Emergency Response System FAQs, Center for Aging Services Technologies, National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers, American Association for Long Term Care Insurance, Top 10 Things to Know if You’re Interested in a Reverse Mortgage
- Parkinson’s Disease: Challenges and Choices: Providing Care for Parkinson’s Disease, Safe Ideas for a Parkinson’s Home, Stages of Parkinson’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease Fact Sheet, 10 Signs that Your Parent Might Have Parkinson’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease and Dementia, Parkinson’s Disease Caregiving, Combating Depression in Parkinson’s Disease, National Parkinson Foundation, Parkinson’s Disease and Your Home, Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research, Parkinson’s Disease Foundation
- Quality In-Home Care as a Consumer Protection Issue: Risks of Registries, Top 10 Reasons to Hire an Agency Instead of Going Through a Registry or Independent Hire, Are You An Employer Questions, How to Choose a Home Care Provider, Hiring a Caregiver Can Be Taxing, Safe at Home? Research Report, National Center on Elder Abuse, Hiring a Caregiver for In-Home Help, Choosing In-Home Care
- Stress-Free Holidays – Caring for the Caregiver: Helping Seniors Beat the Holiday Blues, Holiday Activities that Cross the Generations, Holiday Stress Assessment for Caregivers, Avoiding Family Caregiver Holiday Traps, Stress, Depression and the Holidays: 12 Tips for Coping, Holiday Stress Assessment for Caregivers, Caregiving and the Holidays, Managing Holiday Stress: Tips for Alzheimer’s Caregivers, Five Ways to Alzheimer’s-Proof Your Holidays
- Family Survival Kit: A list of questions that need to be asked when seeking home care NJ.